Financing options for foreigners were always very limited in Costa Rica but now Banco LAFISE is making mortgage loans available for USA and Canadian citizens. Loan availability will now make buying your dream home in paradise a possibility!
Founded in 1985, LAFISE is a modern and diversified business holding company. LAFISE has established itself as the regional financial leader in specialized services such as banking, brokerage houses, investment banking, insurance, investments and management of venture capital funds. LAFISE operates in the markets of Central America, the United States, Mexico, Panama, Venezuela, the Dominican Republic and Colombia.
Currently, LAFISE has conditions for mortgage loans for home purchase, lot purchase, construction on own lot and transfer of mortgages or the purchase of a current mortgage in another bank. The maximum term is 30 years for a house or condo, and 15 years for a lot.
Now let’s talk about the requirements for USA and Canadian citizens interested in getting a mortgage loan through Banco LAFISE.
- Copy of passport
- Income tax of the last 3 years
- 6 months of statements and certification of income by public accountant (required for self-employed)
- Last 4 pay stubs with salary constance and 3 months of statements (required for salaried employee)
- 3 credit references or score (for example: Equifax, TransUnion, Credit Solutions, Karma Credit, Borrowell, Experian, etc.)
- KYC form, credit application form, and SUGEF form, all must be completed by the client and signed
- Proof of pension (required in case of being pensioned)
- Value of the property you wish to acquire
- Contract of purchase and sale or reservation
LAFISE requires each client requesting a loan to have a life insurance policy with LAFISE. In the case that a client has a preexisting life insurance policy, that policy can be used as long as LAFISE is named the beneficiary.
The interest rate in dollars today is 6.75% fixed for 2 years and from the 3rd year the rate is variable with a TRI-merge credit report of 12 months + 4%. Depending on the property, LAFISE can lend from 50% to 80% of the value of the property according to the appraisal.
If the property is near a beach (for example located in Playas del Coco or Playa Hermosa) the client needs to put a 30% premium. Although if the value of the condo or house is high the client may need to put up to a 40% or 50% premium. Also if the property will be used as a rental or vacation home, the premium starts at 35% or higher depending on the value and location of the property.
If the property is far from a beach, such as a city like Liberia, the premium can start as low as 20% but if the value of the condo or home is high, LAFISE will require a higher premium percentage. Each individual case is different.
LAFISE has an office in Miami, Florida, which is in charge of reviewing these documents. These documents can be submitted digitally to a loan agent who will carry out a credit study. Once approved, the client must be present in Costa Rica for the signing of the mortgage protocol at the LAFISE office in Liberia.
Loan availability with reasonable interest rates in Costa Rica is a game changer! So many more people will be able to make their dreams a reality. Interested in more details or getting in touch with an agent at LAFISE? Please reach out and I would be happy to assist you!
- Email me if you have any questions or comments.
- Join my email list to keep up with the latest news about Costa Rica.
- Frequently asked questions about Costa Rica
- Costa Rica property listings